Aromatherapy is the practice of using plant oils and minerals to aid in both emotional and physical healing. It is used alongside other practices such as massages, baths, Yoga or Tai Chi, and other activities meant to relax and soothe the body and soul.
Aromatherapy is also associated with the Greek goddess Aphrodite, the goddess of love, fertility and all things to do with sensuality and sexuality. Therefore, it’s no surprise that many of the essential oils used for aromatherapy can also be used as aphrodisiacs to get you and your partner in the mood.
These oils are natural, safe, and allow for a mind-blowing experience that you and your partner will never forget. So, without further ado, check out these essential oils that work well as aphrodisiacs.
How Aphrodisiac Essential Oils Affect the Body
Before we dive into oils that help get you in a sensuous mood, you should understand just how essential oils could affect your body. The scents in these oils travel throughout the body using a neurological pathway that bypasses the blood brain barrier.
Once in contact with the limbic system, located at the back of the brain and associated with learning, memory, and emotions, the smells can have a powerful effect on the body by inducing memories and certain feelings.
You may have noticed this when smelling an aroma and being instantly reminded of something in your childhood or tasting a food that reminds you of a specific person and the way they smelled or an experience you shared.
These powerful connections can push the body into a state of sadness, anger, happiness, or in this case, intense passion.
The following essential oil scents are those that prompt thoughts and feelings of passion and sensuality, thereby successfully putting people in the mood.
• Ginger: A sweet, musky odor that warms you up, ginger is a stimulating scent. It is thought to help open and soften the heart as well as aid erectile dysfunction. It also helps improve depression and blood circulation, keeping you alert and excited.
• Jasmine: This calming, sweet aroma is exotic and warming. Jasmine oil helps relieve stress, reduce anxiety and fears, and it is thought to be mildly euphoric for some people. Jasmine comes in lotions, massage oils and lubricants, bubble baths, and perfumes.
• Cinnamon: Known for its sweet and spicy scent, cinnamon is thought of as an invigorating aroma. It helps to calm your nerves and improve blood flow and circulation and it has a number of other benefits, too. Some of these include an increased desire, reduced frigidity, enhanced creativity, and improved erectile dysfunction. Some studies on young males returned results that the smell of cinnamon increases blood flow to the penis. Burn cinnamon incense, candles, or even bake cinnamon buns or coffee cakes.
• Rose: There’s rarely an anniversary, Valentine’s Day, birthday or other significant holiday that goes by without these flowers as the obvious go-to present. So it’s no surprise that rose oil is one of the reigning aphrodisiac essential oil scents. Sweet, floral, rich, and intoxicating, rose oil has strong connections to spiritual and physical love. It is both a sensual and romantic scent and it helps to heal grief from emotional trauma, relieve anger and jealousy, and overall puts one in a better mood. Lotion, incense, bubble bath, massage oil, and the flowers themselves can surround your love space to strengthen feelings of desire and happiness.
• Gardenia: This fragrant flower is often used in bridal bouquets and admired as a soft, beautiful flower with an endearing aroma. This aphrodisiac essential oil is used to help sleep, relieve anxiety, and elevate your mood, so you can feel great and calm in your lover’s arms.
• Ylang-Ylang: Ylang-ylang is both sweet and bitter, freshening and sensual. It helps to relax nerves and stimulates the senses. It has also been recommended to help balance hormone, improve erectile dysfunction, and even remedy the worst symptoms of PMS. Overall, this oil is best in aiding relaxation and enhancing a feeling of peace and tranquility. It is also a great oil for soothing feelings of anger, fear and frigidity.
• Neroli: Found from orange blossoms, this sweet and cooling oil is used to relieve feelings of anxiety, stress, and grief. It is especially helpful for first encounter fears and apprehensions with a new partner. This oil is also used to calm PMS symptoms and cramps. Neroli also has antidepressant properties that can bring about feelings of happiness and calm, which enhance feelings of closeness with your partner.
• Vanilla: This delicious flavor and scent is a favorite for perfumes, lotions, massage oils, bubble baths, candles, and incense. This is one of the oldest used aphrodisiac scents, used by the Totonacos and the Aztecs. Recent studies have found that vanilla can enhance and promote sexual arousal and even aid sleep. It is also believed that this scent is similar to human pheromones, making it highly desirable in the bedroom.